Are you using kids toys for dog toys?

Please take a moment to read the following information that was sent to me via email.  This is in regards to using stuffed children’s toys for dog toys.

Toy warning

Posted by: “Karlyn Berg” Date: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 am ((PDT))

 Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student, was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child’s teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die as no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

 This was not an obstruction. …. so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children’s toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to become a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child’s toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don’t expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys.. hmmmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

 So do not give or buy your dog any children’s stuffed animals. Some people get them at Goodwill, etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children’s toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on… it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.

 Karlyn

(permission to crosspost)

Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. Angelica said

    OMG! I never thought about that. Leo has many stuffed animals.

    On thing people could do, if you were handy with a needle & thread, would be to remove the stuffing and buy new polyfil (which is not flame retardant). Or is the fabric itself also flame retardant? Personally if I had a child I wouldn’t give them a stuffed animal either. Kids put things in their mouths too.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: